[Windows] - Tips for optimizing your Windows OS Performance

Discussion in 'FAQ / Guides / Мануалы' started by Fr3DBr, Jul 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fr3DBr

Fr3DBr Guest

Hello,

I'd like to post a few hints to improve the performance of your windows server in order
    to achieve great stability and a better utilization of your hardware.

Here we go :

1) How to properly adjust windows swap (virtual memory) :

a) Right My Computer.
    b) Click Properties.
    c) Choose "Advanced" in the top bar.
    d) Click in settings.
    e) Choose "Advanced" in the top bar again.
    f) Press the button "Change".
    g) Now here comes the trick part, make sure that you have your swap only adjusted to one
    of your hard drives, do not make multiple swap files.
    Also to 'adjust' a good amount, usually people use an old rule of adjusting the minimum
    and maximum size of calculating it to be 2.5x your physical ram size, but i prefer actually to define the
    needed amount for a lineage 2 server :p.

The minimum amount you can set (for a server with like 200-500 players) would be something around :
    8192 min / 8192 max.

The recommended amount id say for you is : 16384 min / 16384 max.

After you input the values, just restart your machine and voila, you have your virtual memory properly configured.

2) Disabling DEP :

DEP is a protection system designed to prevent programs from writing into memory places that are normally not to be writen to, called as "data sections",
    viruses tend to write their shit to these areas since they usually have space and are suitable for code execution, altough for legacy applications
    and softwares like extenders, which "do it", this is not recommended to be enabled, the same apply when a player use your antibot, if it has injection
    code inside, it would be a good idea to the player also disable it, to do not have stability issues.

How to do it :

a) Right My Computer.
    b) Click Properties.
    d) Click in settings.
    e) Select "Data Execution Prevention" in the top bar.
    f) Select the first option : "Turn on DEP only for essential windows programs..."
    g) Confirm all, reboot your machine and done !

3) Ajusting Resource Priorities (Only for the Game Server, Or Mixed Server Which Runs Game + Database) :

With this tip, you will dedicate your resources to the active programs running your machine.

a) Right My Computer.
    b) Click Properties.
    d) Click in settings.
    e) Choose "Advanced" in the top bar again.
    g) In this dialogue, make sure both optimization methods are adjusted for "Programs" instead of "Services".
    h) Confirm all, reboot your machine and done !

These are basic tips, but they are crucial for you have a properly configured server ! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.